Building an email list is crucial as part of your overall digital marketing strategy. Email marketing is very effective and important as it is still one of the best ways to communicate with your customers, plus it offers both PROTECTION and PROMOTION.
Protection: Your list is yours. Social media is wonderful, and I highly recommend it as a part of your overall digital marketing strategy, however, you don’t own your social media accounts. If something were to happen (let’s say you get hacked, or algorithm changes and you looses reach) it will become increasingly difficult to connect and promote your goods or services if you aren’t in front of your audience anymore.
Promotion: If someone has given you their email address they are already saying they would like to engage with your content or product/service. Nothing quite compares to the effectiveness of direct email marketing. Did you know you are 6x more likely to get higher click-through rates via direct email instead of social media.
So, what exactly is email marketing?
Email marketing is directly emailing your subscriber list with information regarding your business. It’s a great way to share specials or promotions with your customers, it also makes them feel special like VIPS if they are receiving an offer before the general public.
How do I build a list?
There are lots of ways to develop and grow your email list here are some ideas:
- Newsletter subscription form on your website
- Pop-ups on website visitors are browsing
- Via social media
- Landing pages
- E-book downloads
How to manage and maintain your list?
Once your list starts to grow you want to make sure you are keeping it tidy and in order.
- Segmenting: This occurs when you seperate your email list into categories based on where your subscriber is on the purchase journey. Here are some ways you could segment:
- User demographics (location, age, gender, marital status etc)
- Purchase history (past customer / never purchased)
- Clean up bounced emails/unopened
- Avoid no-reply@yourcompanyname in the sender’s email, this doesn’t make it personal
- Keep the main message and a clear call to action above the fold.
- Personalise the email greeting, use emojis – make it fun!
- Write enticing subject lines
- Include preview text – make it interesting
- Encourage subscribers to forward your email onto friends
There are lots of great platforms where you can design and send really good looking email campaigns.
Hubspot – it has a free version that is fantastic, also a great CRM (customer relationship manager) platform. Limit of 1000 subscribers on the free version.
Flodesk – this platform has modern and sleek email templates that allow you to easily build workflows and create automation.
Don’t do this:
Never ever, ever buy an email list, ever! This is so wrong on so many levels, it will damage your reputation and quite simply, it’s just not cool.
Don’t miss out on any more opportunities by not starting to build and grow your email list. Remember it’s all about protecting and promoting.